Saturday, May 5, 2012

An Experience of a Lifetime!

In the spirit of summer and the celebration of the end of another semester, it is officially time for me to start using this blog again. A small face lift was in order for the page itself, but now is the time for the important reasoning for my writing again. In order to respectfully jump back into blogging I have found one absolutely incredible reason to revive my days of authorship via the internet: I am going to PARIS!!! And yes, I do mean Paris, France not Paris, Texas...
During the month of June I will be studying abroad with the Baylor in Paris program which allows me to perfect my French and gain a little (or a lot) of insight into European culture, while also completing my foreign language credit for my degree :) This is a trip I have been praying about, spent all of last summer saving money for and have eagerly been anticipating since October. Needless to say, I am SO EXCITED!!!

Throughout the month of June I will be writing a weekly (sometimes bi-weekly) post in order to share some of my favorite moments of my trip with all of you, my friends and family, back home! I am still in awe that I have received this incredible opportunity to take in the culture in another part of the world, and I know this is going to be a life changing experience. (Not to mention that I also have the huge blessing of sharing the experience with my best friend, Erin!) Erin and I intend to conquer some great self-defined obstacles, will try not to go into a coffee, bread and wine comatose, learn way more about French art and theater than we will ever really need to know and countless other memory-making experiences that I can't wait to share with everyone! Don't worry, I will also be sharing TONS of pictures with you thanks to my amazing parents who invested in a very nice camera so that I can document almost every moment with digital clarity :)

As I have been praying through what some of my personal intentions will be during the trip, I realized that one of my greatest expectations is to learn to appreciate the history that God has written for this world over several centuries. As I learned through my music history class of Ancient Music to the year 1600 and my Christian Heritage class, Paris is an extremely important site of history that helped shape and define the faith that I now claim as my own, even centuries after it was being shaped in Paris. I know through exploring the many sites of Paris that I will most definitely return home as a more humbled believer. Plus, who doesn't want to appreciate all of the art, architecture, music, entertainment and the sheer Parisian aspects of Paris?! And don't worry, I'll make sure I have a little fun from time to time ;)

As a reader, be expecting some eye-opening, jaw-dropping and even some humbling images and words to come from this blog in the next 8 weeks. I know I definitely will be :)

Until I write about the joys and struggles of packing...
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment